Baigneuse's Knit Fit

Just a place to post picts of my little ol' knitting projects.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Learn something new every day....

….Or at least try something new.

I recently received my Christmas Amazon.com books in the mail and I’m super excited. I’ve wanted the Vogue Stitchonary forever, DomiKnitrix has lots of patterns that I’d like to knit, and finally the Happy Hooker. I’m trying to work my way through HH but perhaps I’m letting it frustrate me too much. Throwing my hook on the rug is apparently not helpful in understanding single stitch crochet. Who knew?











My first for real sock. No worsted weight yarn, large needles or knit in a 2-needle pattern. For this I employed some actual sock yarn and dpns to make a lace creation. I like it so much I may even make another to have a matched pair. I’m just crazy like that At first I despaired over the idea of working with size 1 needles but I persisted and managed to finish at least one sock. I really like the greens and blues of this yarn but in the end I think this pattern may have looked better in a solid. I’ll have to keep that in mind for next time.
















Also completed recently: A Calorimetry from knitty that was finished while watching a movie on TV. Some slight modifications because apparently the pattern was coming out huge for some people. I ended up only casting on 80 stitches instead of the called for 120.














A top down bonnet from helloyarn.com that took about day to make. I’m not sure how I feel about this hat but it did give me the opportunity to learn a figure 8 cast on so I think it was worth it.

8 Comments:

  • At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First off -- great books! (Well, I can't speak for the HH book, but I have and enjoy the others.)

    Your sock looks great, but it needs a mate. (I lovelovelove your shower curtain.) Yay for a Calorimetry! I need to try this pattern, so thanks for the tip about casting on less stitches - I hadn't heard/read that yet.

    And that last hat, the top-down bonnet... um, I'm glad that you learned a new technique? Ha ha - I'm glad that you question it. No offense, but it looks too small or something. Not the best style.

    All in all - YAY!

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger Baigneuse said…

    Thanks Nanc! For Christmas my mother got me the matching handtowel to go with the curtain.

    I may start the second sock soon and hopefully it will not take as long to knit as the first. I've got the lace pattern pretty much memorized by now.

    Yeah, that last hat...not so great. I'm sure it would look cuter on a smaller head but I was blessed with this pumpkin. While not great for hats it did make for hilarious baby pictures.

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger Liz said…

    Nice sock! I love wearing my handknit socks, I have a pair on right now. It's worth doing twice just so you can enjoy them!

     
  • At 1:53 AM, Blogger Faerynuff said…

    I'm trying again as blogger ate my first comment!

    Gorgeous stuff as always :) I love the calorimetry on you.

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Blogger turtlegirl76 said…

    Calorimetry came out nice! It looks like the mods you made ended up with a perfect fit.

    You look like you're about to bust up laughing at any second though. Heh.

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger Baigneuse said…

    Thanks everyone!

     
  • At 4:28 AM, Blogger Rain said…

    Hang in there with the crochet, it makes sense in the end. You're really cranking out those FOs, the sock looks fab, I hope it gets a mate.

     
  • At 5:50 PM, Blogger CillaFace said…

    Hey, I found you again in another place. I was wondering if you could point my in the right direction to understanding short rows. I love your Calorimetry so much i looked up the pattern but i can't wrap my head around the short row thing. I have never worked on a sweater and I think that is my main problem. Any ways i am glad to see you made it through the storm, and on to the next Artic Blast.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home