Baigneuse's Knit Fit

Just a place to post picts of my little ol' knitting projects.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Double knitting and the Lotus Top















This is my first halfway decent attempt at a double knit. Many of the previous swatches I did ended in disaster and will never see the light of day.

It's a bit messy, tension varies throughout, and the cast on/off methods I used probably were not the ones called for. I couldn't find a clear picture of what I should do so I just guessed. I was all excited because the latest issue of Knitty had some pictures of double knitting but as I soon found out that only worked if you wanted 2 seperate but identical pieces.

Hopefully I can improve rapidly because I realized my sisters birthday is coming up and this scarf would be fantastic in purple and black.

On another knitting front I've been working on my Lotus Blossom Top. I've come to realize that, as others have noted before, the lace reapeats really do look like alien heads. Weird. I think someone on the KAL had the idea to switch out that lace and use a skull pattern instead. I hope someone does do that because it would be brilliant.

I've had the yarn for months but only now do I find the will to work on it. I plan on doing some minor alterations to the pattern along the way so hopefully it will fit the way I want it to. We shall see soon.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Someone on craftster did a combination of the Lotus Blossom top and the (in)famous Lelah top, and it looked awesome. Anything's better with skulls, though.

    Knitty Gritty did an episode with double knitting. (the diynetwork.com page for it is here.) They address cast-on and bind off and all that good stuff.

     
  • At 12:59 AM, Blogger Baigneuse said…

    Thanks for the DK link! I did see the Lotus/Lelah hybrid and I really liked it. The mods I'm making are kind of close to that. I love the top portion of the LBT and the bottom shaping of the Leah. Hopefully I'll get the best of both worlds.

     
  • At 5:21 AM, Blogger Rain said…

    The lotus top looks lovely so far, I really like the colour you chose.

    You'll soon get the tension right on your double knitting. Have you seen the double knit star scarf?

    http://www.craftychickonline.com/Knit%20Star%20Scarf.htm

    ooh and there's a skull one on craftster

     
  • At 7:22 AM, Blogger Batty said…

    Those swatches are looking good. Haven't tried double knitting yet, but getting gauge sounds awfully hard.

    LBT is so much fun to knit. I want to do another one in green to play up the alien head-ness of the alien heads. That would be so great, if slightly geeky.

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Baigneuse said…

    Thaks guys!

    Rain: I have seen the Star scarf on Craftster. It was one of the first things to make me want to learn DK knitting. The skull one on Craftster is the one I want to make for my sister. She and I are both fond of skulls.

    Batty: I think a green Lotus top with the alien head lace would be great. : )

     
  • At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeay Double Knit! This is seriously my favorite pet technique. I keep finding all kinds of different ways to use it. A nice easy cast-on/off method I use and would work for these patterns is here.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home