Baigneuse's Knit Fit

Just a place to post picts of my little ol' knitting projects.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Sock Question

Ladies of the sock, I have a question. Is it possible to do a provisional cast on for a sock, knit the thing, then go back to the top and use the rest of the skein knitting upwards? Just like the shrug portion of the Tubey sweater. That way you can use up the yarn but still get that nicer heel that I just can’t seem to achieve in a toe up sock. What are your thoughts?

I’ve been working on my second attempt at a toe up version of the Jaywalker but I’m not happy with the fit of it. The way the heel is currently shaping up gives it the appearance of the bottom of a footie pajama rather than a sock.

If I tried the provisional cast on it would probably only work in a stockinette portion, that way there will not be an obvious delineation between where the sock changes direction.



****Last night I attempted to make a Jaywalker sock work using this idea. Unfortunately I was right about this only working with stockinette stitches. When I tried knitting it the same way up as I did down the chevrons changed directions and caused the fabric to puff out. When I tried staggering the pattern so that they did go in the same direction the sock still didn’t look right. To do this you’d need something that looks the same no matter what direction you’re knitting. Since I’ve already ripped this yarn 6 or more times, I’m just going to take my chances with a regular Jaywalker sock and hope I don't run out. I’ll save this idea for next time I knit a sock.****

9 Comments:

  • At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sure you can!!!

     
  • At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that! Never really thought about it . . .

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Liz said…

    I don't see why not. Try it and let us know!

    If you're looking for a better heel for a toe up sock, the Widdershins and Baudelaire patterns from Knitty mimic the flap-and-gusset heel. Widdershins is a closer approximation and fits me much better, but Baudelaire comes in more sizes.

     
  • At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Although I've never tried this, I'm sure it is possible. If it's just the heel, you may want to try a after thought heel. (Heel stitches are put on waste yarn and knit after the sock is done.)

    As for the direction of the stitches, since Jaywalkers give both a toe-up and cuff-down version, you should be able to switch it mid-stride. (But I'm just guessing -- some testing will need to occurr first.)

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Jen Da Purse Ho said…

    oh man..i'm doing the same sock...toe up. i had some issues too...but i forgot about these socks until now. hahaha. :) i hope they come out fine!

     
  • At 4:15 PM, Blogger Baigneuse said…

    Thanks guys!

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry it didn't work out!!!

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Rain said…

    Whenever you change direction from a provisional cast on the stitch shifts across by a half so where you have a V in one direction, the other way up it become /\, 1 half each of 2 sts. This means you can't match up a pattern exactly unless it stockinette.

    You would be able to knit a separate piece and graft it onto the main part, but it would be a bit fiddly.

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Batty said…

    Sure you can. Not sure if it's a PITA, but you definitely can!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home